Nanoscience Summer Institute for Middle School Teachers, NanoSIMST
The nano@stanford is excited to offer TWO paid professional development workshops in nanoscience this summer; virtual and in-person! Selected teachers in this unique learning experience will be introduced to content-relevant cutting edge technology and nanoscience concepts that will engage students with real world problems. We provide hands-on materials, instructional support, field trips, guest speakers, high demand career options for students, and exposure to the wealth of online resources in our National Nanotechnology Coordinated Infrastructure, NNCI, network of 16 sites. Become a part of the nanoscience educator community! In-person Option- Apply Now! Virtual Option- Apply Now!
- Learn about the cutting edge research at Stanford and the NNCI network across the country from guest speakers
- Develop customized, NGSS-aligned activities and lesson plans for your classroom from your own hands-on experiences
- Receive stipend upon completion of workshop ($500) and classroom implementation ($300)
Why Middle School Teachers?
- Middle school is the beginning of the scientific and engineering pipeline problem
- Performance relative to international norms drops between 4th to 8th grade from above average to average.
- Reported enthusiasm for science drops substantially: 64% of 4th graders interested in science, dropping to 50% in the 8th grade (from the National Center for Education Statistics)
- Broad Impact: One teacher may reach > 100 students per year
- Deep Impact: Teachers profoundly influence their students' interests
- Retention: Teachers are the frontline in the effort to maintain high education standards We hope to help make your job more enjoyable and rewarding.
Excite and engage your students with the power and wonder of nanotechnology! Apply and join us this summer to learn and play with nano and learn about high demand careers for your students. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until May 7, 2023. This summer we are excited to offer both an in-person AND virtual option to extend the opportunity to teachers across the US. The in-person option is hosted at Stanford from June 20 - 23, 2023, 10 am- 5 pm PST and the virtual option is fully remote from July 17-21, 2023, 9 am - 2 pm PST / 10 am - 3 pm MST / 12 pm - 5 pm EST. Any questions? Contact email@example.com