Nanoscience Summer Institute for Middle School Teachers
The nanofacilities at Stanford offers a five-day workshop on nanoscience every summer. Selected teachers will learn the underlying physical concepts in nanotechnology and nanoscience in simple terms. This unique learning experience can enrich your current courses through both deepening content understanding and instructional practices.
Why Middle School?
- Middle school is the beginning of the scientific and engineering pipeline problem
- Performance relative to international norms drops between 4th to 8th grade from above average to average.
- Reported enthusiasm for science drops substantially: 64% of 4th graders interested in science, dropping to 50% in the 8th grade (from the National Center for Education Statistics)
- Broad Impact: One teacher may reach > 100 students per year
- Deep Impact: Teachers profoundly influence their students' interests
- Retention: Teachers are the frontline in the effort to maintain high education standards We hope to help make your job more enjoyable and rewarding.
- Learn about the cutting edge research at Stanford from guest lectures
- Develop customized, NGSS-aligned activities and lesson plans for your classroom
- Receive stipend upon completion of workshop ($500) and classroom implementation ($300)
Bring nanoscience to your classroom! Apply and join us this summer to learn and play with nanomaterials and nanoscience related concepts. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please note, the Summer 2021 program will be fully remote. We will be accepting teachers from across the US (and not just the Bay) this year.